The Story of Loved and Trying

Trying is inspired by Loved to be a better person. He says, “Because I love Loved, and I appreciate how I have been inspired by him, I want to honor him by doing better with my life.”

Trying sets out to accomplish something that he knows will honor Loved. He works hard and masters This. He has an opportunity to show Loved one day what he has done.

He brings This to Loved and says, “Because I appreciate how you have inspired me to do better in my life, and I wanted to show you that I value you, I have accomplished This.”

Loved replies with a waive of his hand, “Pfft, well while you were spending all of your time focused on This you neglected That.”

Loved’s response hits Trying like a chisel and hammer hit a stone. A huge painful chunk of Trying is ripped off with that blow. However, Trying, knowing that Loved is right, he has neglected That, goes out again.

Trying says to himself, “I appreciate Loved, I value his opinion, and I have neglected That. I will show Loved that I can do better.”

Trying goes out and repairs what he has neglected. He comes back to Loved and says, “Loved, you were right, I did neglect That while I was working on This. I am sorry. I want you to know that I listen to your opinion. I want to grow and be a better person. I have gone out and fixed what I neglected.”

Loved barely even looks at Trying or his work. Loved just looks beyond Trying and points to Something Else, and says, “Look Trying, I don’t really understand why you think you need to keep boasting about what you can do. I don’t really care about This or That. All I see is that you don’t even try to take care of Something Else. You are always trying to make me think your such a good person, but when I see Something Else still sitting there not taken care of I wonder why you think so highly of yourself.”

Trying still loves Loved and now believes that doing better will show Loved that he appreciates Loved and how he has inspired him to be a better person. Trying goes out again, with determination, to prove to Loved that what he is doing matters, he begins working on Something Else.

Trying is exhausted, but he knows that if he quits Loved will think badly of him, so he presses on, but worry and fear creep in to his mind. Trying worries that he may not be able to keep taking care of This and That while he is working on mastering Something Else. Trying is afraid that once he is done with Something Else that Loved will just say it isn’t good enough or that this work is not important either.

Trying finishes Something Else, he tidies up This, and makes sure That is still working. With aching sore muscles and blistered hands he stops working for the day. He feels accomplished. He feels like maybe this work will show Loved how much he is appreciated. But those are faint feelings that Trying is just barely holding on to. He is afraid and worried to share this with Loved now.

He doesn’t bring it to show Loved. As Loved is passing by he sees Trying working on Something New.

Trying smiles and says, “Good morning Friend.”

Loved responds with, “Hello Trying, what are you working on? Don’t you think you should be working on Something Else?”

I finished that yesterday” says Trying, “along with some maintenance of This and That. Do you want to see?”

“No,” says Loved, “I guess as long as you are sure that you have completed This, That, and Something Else and you are on top of things than I don’t need to know. This is all for your life anyway. Why do I need to see it?” And Loved leaves.

In that moment the meaning of their names change, Trying continues to try, but not to prove anything to Loved, but to be a better person and enjoy his own worth. Loved is no longer someone who is loved by someone, but someone who was loved.

If you keep raising the bar for your child they will walk away defeated, starting out their adult life feeling that they do not matter or cannot contribute to this world. If you keep seeing your spouse the way Loved saw Trying, they will remember you as one who they used to love.

Take the time to see and celebrate your child’s accomplishments. Appreciate the effort your spouse takes in showing their love to you. Or you will be known as the latter Loved.

Comments

Popular Posts