What would you suggest?

Haman was called into the kings room and asked how to honor a man the king is please with. Haman answered with a fantastic idea. I'm saying he went crazy all out. He thought the king was talking about him. He thought the king was going to say, "Hey, Haman, I want to honor you in this way because you please me with your 'amazing' work."

Haman, revealed something he probably would never have told anyone. He must have been thinking about this a lot. Fantasizing about riding on the kings horse, wearing the kings robes. Makes me wonder if he had even thought about being king himself.

I began to ponder what he would have done if he had had all the right information. Not that it was his enemy, but that the king was maybe just setting up a new policy for how to thank those who have impressed the him.

Haman would have had his adviser's cap on and would have given advice on the scale of a honor based on the persons actions. If they had just sent over a baked good for the king to enjoy they would have gotten a thank you note. If they had thrown a huge party in the kings honor then they would have had some nice wine and fruit basket.

But this guy Haman was out of his mind with himself. He had gone crazy over his own importance. He couldn't see clearly beyond himself because he was just gazing at himself in a mirror and enjoying that reflection.

I wonder how we do with this in our own lives. I am not saying that we all are so self focused that we have gone crazy. But if you were asked to come up with an idea of how to honor yourself would you make it so much more grand than if you were asked to honor someone else? Do you think that the things you have done are greater than the things other people are doing?

Actually, I don't see this as a huge problem in the people I know. I am surrounded by amazing people who just give of themselves so freely that they don't even see it as an exceptional trait. I just wanted to visit this thought as a precautionary measure.

I do not want to do things based on the notoriety I will receive. (I do tend to fall to that often) I don't want to let myself feel like what I am doing in my life is amazing. Because it is not. I am just a person and GOD is doing the work. I have got to keep my focus in the right place.

Just a thought that passed though my ever wandering mind this morning. Something to learn from, you know? I think it is just another aspect of humility that GOD is constantly trying to teach me. Thanks for letting me mull it over with you. :)

Comments

Popular Posts