Prints to Wood Board Tutorial



Being an artist, sometimes I just have to do something creative to keep sane.  I have wanted to add scripture art to my home ever since we remodeled a couple of years ago.  I have been working on this idea for a while.  Isn't the Fruit of the Spirit just the cutest for a kitchen?  Especially, with these cute little prints.
Finished project.  Please excuse the messy counter.  

My kitchen style is sort of a 50's farmhouse.  It is a combination of bright 50's style and rustic farmhouse.  I have touches of kitchy mixed in with industrial finishes, like galvanized metal. 

I had a little problem with the printer, but managed to get them all printed.

To make the cute prints I used a scrapbook program on my computer.  I found some clip art, and used some fun fonts to make these look like vintage images.  I love using this program for so many projects.  It has been a lifesaver for my kids class projects, and I even have used it for the signs we put on our vegetable stand.  I had planned on printing these out at an office supply store, but I decided to try using my own printer.   They actually turned out pretty true to color.

The great board I found out by the barn.  I hope my hubby didn't have a plan for it.

I went out to the barn hoping to find a piece of wood that was a little rough looking, and wide enough to paste the prints to.  I actually think I would like to try to find a wider board and do this again, but since the cost me almost nothing, I will live with it for now until I find the perfect board.




I measured the width of the board, and printed the images to the right size.  Once they were printed out, I cut them to fit.

I brushed the board off with a stiff dry brush.  I didn't do any deep cleaning or sanding of the board, just the dry brush to take off any bumpy debris.

Craft glue, sponge brush, and putty knife were all I needed to stick the prints to the board.


Spread the glob of glue

 Using craft glue and the sponge brush, I poured a glob of glue on the back of one of the prints and spread it out to cover the entire piece of paper, making sure to really coat the edges and corners.

Using the putty knife carefully press the print onto the board.
I made sure the prints were evenly spaced before I permanently stuck them down.  I tried to stick the first one down with just my hands, but some of the glue was on my fingertips.  The glue stuck to the print and it looks dirty now.  It's still cute, so I left it alone.  But I used the putty knife for the rest.


Comments

Popular Posts