The mission

One of my favorite things is read stories from history. Especially Christian history. I have always been inspired by Elizabeth Elliot's book, "Through Gates of Splendor," and my favorite, Corrie Ten Booms, "The Hiding Place." I don't get that much time to read anymore, so I have resolved to choose one book other than the Bible and read it through. It takes me longer than it used to but I read when I have a minute here or when the HOLY SPIRIT prompts me to.

I have been reading, "Inspiring Women of the Faith." It looked like a good choice because it had 4 stories in it and it wasn't huge. I knew I could get a brief summery of these women's lives. It started with Sojourner Truth, then Florence Nightingale, Amy Carmichael, and lastly is Corrie Ten Boom.

I have completed the first three and through it all one question continues to follow me through each day. What is my mission? Each one of these women devoted their life to a certain mission knowing that it was what GOD had called them too.

I am no longer satisfied with the simple answer, "I am here to do GOD'S will." I want to know what HIS will is.

These women put all of their resources into the mission HE gave them. They didn't think of their own comfort. They felt guilt over the times when their physical needs caused them to have to rest. They didn't contemplate what would give them the most joy. They just had joy in all circumstances.

What is my mission? I continue to ask. This morning when I was praying HE said, "You are called to help the hurting heart." I've heard that answer from HIM before. I just thought that I had to have a formal organization of the mission. HE said that HE is the formal organization. HE prompts when we are to use our resources to help the hurting. HE also supplies our needs when the tasks require more than we have.

I promise that I will not continue to be satisfied with this, however. I see if I am to get comfortable I will stop being effective. I do not want to get lukewarm. I want to be on fire.

Comments

Popular Posts