A Lesson in Forgiveness

As I was growing up someone who was supposed to love me hurt me. As a teen I learned at Camp Barakel under the teaching of Tom Harmon that I was supposed to forgive anyone who had hurt me. I realized that I had become bitter toward this person who had hurt me so GOD showed me how to forgive them.

I thought everything would be okay from there. Recently, however, this person has hurt more people that I love in much the same way they hurt me. I find myself being very cruel about them and the bitterness has erupted in me.

I want forgiveness. I want peace. This not only affects how I interact with this person but this reaches into my everyday life. I am finding that I am not a very nice person. I can be so cruel. How can my Light shine before men with this black cloud surrounding it?

Last week GOD really impressed on me that I had to forgive. HE explained I am exactly the same as the person that hurt me. I hurt GOD by my sins before I was saved. I asked for HIS forgiveness and HE by HIS promised grace granted that request. Then I go out and hurt other people that GOD loves. HE doesn’t sit there and bash me for offending HIM. No HE forgives me over and over for my treatment of HIS loved ones.

I have to do the same. I will never be perfect because I am human and others will never be perfect for the same reason, but my GOD continues to love them and forgive them so should I.
This morning I pulled out the book “The Secret Power of Speaking GOD’S Word,” by Joyce Meyer. I went to the chapter, “Forgiveness,” this is what I read.

If I forgive people their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], my heavenly Father will also forgive me. –Matthew 6:14

I knew that I have needed forgiveness, but I have felt the prayers bouncing down from the ceiling. My heart was willing but my flesh is weak. I trust that this understanding and action of forgiveness will lead me to follow my LORD more closely. This sin that continues to plague me will no longer have control over me, because I am focusing on my GOD.

Comments

K13 Family Blog said…
We should really get a workbook and work on it together. Forgiveness is always a lesson well learned. You are a great writer Kellie

Popular Posts