What the Bible has to say about Satan...

Every morning in my prayer (found here to print www.tdharmon.com/morningprayer ) I pray

"...I take my position - along with other saints - in resisting the devil (I Peter 5:8,9). I pray that you would deny him any permission that he would want in launching an assault against me or my family today (Luke 22:31,32 preventive prayer). I pray that you not allow me to be deceived but discerning in what the will the Lord is (Revelation 20:10).

I pray that you would lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from the evil one (Matthew 6:13). "

I then go on to thank HIM for how HE provided a way for us against the attacks of the devil. Then I put on the armor so that I can fight the attacks alongside my LORD.

This morning I first read Ephesians 6. When I got to verse 10-12 I read it over a few times to let it sink in. Despite what people might think there is a devil. The Bible clearly defines him right here.

v10. Last of all I want to remind you that your strength must come from the LORD'S mighty power within you. v11. Put on all of GOD'S armor so that you will be able to stand safe against all the strategies and tricks of Satan. v12. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against persons without bodies - the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes of darkness who rule this world; and against huge numbers of wicked spirits in the spirit world.

As harsh as this passage may sound it is really very clear about what we are facing as people in this world.

A while back one of the pastors at our church made a very clear statement. I don't remember the exact words but he said that satan hates you. All he wants is to destroy you. I think that a good addition to that statement would be that he doesn't want you to enjoy yourself. He isn't trying to give you pleasure so that you will choose his idea of a good life.

My study Bible has a page on this and I love what they said here.

"Satan is a powerful enemy, but the universe is not a cosmic tug of war contest between GOD and satan. For all satan's power and cunning, he is not GOD'S equal...satan is like a mean dog on a leash. If you get close to him he can hurt you; but his MASTER can always rein him in...The Bible clearly teaches that there is a literal, personal evil being called satan. He is not to be taken lightly, but neither does the Christian need to be afraid. We know the ONE who holds satan's leash securely in his nail-scarred hands."


'Nough said.

Comments

Popular Posts