Do you really want to be like...HIM?

1 Timothy 3:16 "It is quite true that the way to live a godly life is not an easy matter. But the answer lies in CHRIST,..."

As I read that this morning I realized that people often say they want to be like CHRIST. Or they have to be more like CHRIST. Usually when I hear that they are talking about some situation where they need patience or to learn to turn the other cheek.

It has become such an ingrained theme for me that when I read that part of the Word this morning I felt my spirit say, "Yeah, be a pansy. That’s what you really want right?" (Said sardonically)

Do I really want a life of being a pushover, letting people walk all over me and use me for their entertainment? But that is how I feel being like CHRIST is? How in the world did I ever let that idea take hold? It's just...just...CRAZY.

In the same moment I realized how my spirit thought of my LORD I also noticed a fire rising up in me to oppose that thought. I immediately thought, "What was JESUS really like? I have to read the rest of this verse."

"...who came to earth as a man, was proved spotless and pure in HIS Spirit, was served by angles, was preached among the nations, was accepted by men everywhere, and was received up again to HIS glory in heaven."

Okay, so that was not where I thought this would go. I thought it would tell me how a human can take on the proper human traits of JESUS. But there is still hope for me here. These are not impossible traits to attain.

came to earth as a man: I am human.

proved spotless: I can strive to be proved spotless in every situation. Even when I fail, I can come clean with those I have offended and confession is the first step to forgiveness. Isn't forgiveness GOD'S way of making us spotless? Yessir.

served by angles: I have been helped many times in my life by angles. When I was a kid and scared of the dark. I used to have to feed the dog who lived in a pen in our backyard. I would have to walk out there after dark sometimes to feed her and as I was walking where the spotlight didn't shine I would reach up and "hold" my guardian angle's hand. I have been in a near fatal car accident of which I found myself soundly on the other side of when that was impossible. I got a lift to school one time from a man with really blue eyes who's car disappeared as soon as I stepped out. Yes, I have been served by angles.

preached among the nations: I want to preach HIM among the nations but that means I have to reach out to the world to do so. I can do that, and I know HE will send me where ever it is HE wants me. You know how I know? HE already is.

accepted by men: I feel that a man we met a few years ago lived this perfectly. He could strike up a conversation with anyone turn it to a conversation about their salvation and not ever be rejected. I know it is possible. I pray that I can live up to that practical example.

received up...to...heaven: The last one is my reason for life. I look forward to the day when I get to experience the glory of GOD in heaven.

That being said I also want to really look at the life of CHRIST this year and see who I really want to be like. I know he wasn't a pansy. I just want to have a practical example to follow.

Comments

Popular Posts