Acts 2:4-13

Acts 2:4-13 (KJV)
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.


They all heard the apostles speaking in their tongue "the wonderful works of GOD" (vs11). It also said they were all amazed. Yet some chose even in their amazement to discredit this as not a supernatural ability from GOD.

Just look at the long list of languages that were being heard. Yet it was no big deal to some. They seem to think that if you get drunk you can suddenly speak foreign languages. Well, for goodness sake, if I had known that just think how my Spanish class would have been.

How often do you hear someone telling a great story of how GOD has blessed them and then someone tries to blow it off as coincidence. How often have I tried to analyze the story to make it tangible. It is so politically incorrect to say, "Praise the LORD," when you hear of a blessing. But that is my hearts first response. Then I am shut down with the correctness issue. Will they think I am weird maybe I should just say, "That's great I am so happy for you." That is a much safer response. I find myself doing that even when talking to someone in the lobby after church.

I am encouraged that the awesomeness of the work GOD did that day took 7 verses and only one to acknowledge those who blew it off. I am so glad that they made a point to add this. This is why the Bible is so relevant today. We can take this one verse and purpose to not be the mockers, and to not listen to those who would downplay GOD working in this world today.

I purpose to see GOD in every situation. I acknowledge that there are some out there that would distract us with nonsense and false supernatural abilities. I will let GOD test them. I just want my heart to see the truth of my GOD in this world and I want to shout HIS glory because of it.

Comments

Popular Posts