Acts 2:41-47

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

I love how the word Souls was used here. It wouldn't have as much punch if it just said People would it.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.


This is what I consider the outline of the making of the church. They ate together, they listened to the apostles, they prayed. They lived together and supported each other in their needs. All of their income or livelihood was distributed equally as they had need. They also praised GOD.

I have been thinking about this. Wouldn't it be great if each of us could use our talents to serve each other? I would love if the church would unite and each of us would donate their abilities to the whole. I would prepare tax returns for my brothers and sisters in CHRIST. My hubby would fix cars and airplanes. Lawyers would donate their time to represent those in the family who need it. Plumbers would plumb. Carpenters would trim. Chiefs would cook. We could be a very strong community.

However isn't that what the early settlers did when they came to America? How did we get so far from that mentality that even our church members hold back? I am only one person but I am determined to give of my time and abilities to serve those not only in my church family but those outside it so that I can represent the love of GOD properly.

What do you say? Can we build a church like that now?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellant post Kellie !

Popular Posts