Pre-School Graduation

DD1 had her graduation today. I thought no big deal this is just for the kids but I had a wonderful time. One thing that made it all worthwhile was that each child was given an award.

The teachers talked over each one and decided what was to be awarded. One child got the Award for Helps because they could count on her to set up projects and get the crayon out and also clean up. One boy got the Award for Joy because he did everything with a smile and brought sunshine into the class every day.

But DD1's made me cry, she got the Award for Friendship, because she made sure she played with everyone and also that everyone got to play. She never left anyone out.

That means so much to me because I was always the one left out and chosen last. I have wanted to pass on to my kids that no one is insignificant. Even with the difficult kids in her class she kept trying and was friendly to them. I remember her telling me about one who had been especially mean we talked about it together and the next week she told me with a dreamy look that she loved that little one and they were friends.

How great as a parent to see that you do have an impact on your kids even in the positive attributes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a neat idea to give special awards at the Pre-School graduation. Your DD sounds so sweet - to include others. You are doing a great job teaching her about valuing everyone.

Popular Posts