Fear of the LORD

I have never understood what The fear of the LORD is.

Oh, fear the LORD, you HIS saints! There is no want to those who fear HIM. Psalm 34:9

I always thought that GOD doesn't hurt me, HE loves me too much. That has actually become an excuse for me when I sin. I was just thinking about my thought process before I choose to do something wrong. I am usually fighting the urge to do it and then I find myself trying to justify it. Like, it's not really that bad and I wouldn't be in such turmoil if I just would give in and then move on.

There are so many things wrong with that. But the first thing is that I don't fear the LORD. I don't understand that HE has the ability to cut me off. People always answer, when I talk like this, by saying things like HE is forgiving and gracious, HE would never cut you off, JESUS died for your sins, you are forgiven. Well that is all true, but HE has the ability to cut you off. I have always heard that we cannot use forgiveness as an excuse. I just never thought really hard about it.

Psalm said we must fear HIM. I need to face temptation knowing that GOD will be displeased. I can't just sin and know that GOD will forgive me. But I have been doing just that. I will sit watching a TV show knowing that it is wrong, but not turning it off because it will be over soon and GOD will fix any damage done. Please! How lame!

HE is a FATHER. I love that I am a mother now. HE has put me in a new place so that I can have a new perspective. As a mother I know that I don't like to hurt my children, but if I don't reprimand they will be spoiled. They will have no respect for me. I am to fear HIM like a child fears a parent who is always watching. If I continue with a sin HE, as a FATHER, is going to punish.

I need to recognize what HIS punishments look like. Maybe it is that zombie feeling I get sometimes. I feel like I am dead inside and I don't care about anything. It is like being separated from feelings. I hate that. Maybe it is financial trouble.

What about the statement, GOD will never give you anything you can't handle. Well guess what you can handle a lot more than you want to.

What about John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. True. But bad things are not always from the devil. We as parents know that we would never steal from our kids. That is just unfair. We would absolutely not kill them. And certainly not destroy them. But punishments from GOD don't look like that at all. Those are the traits of the devil.

I need to expect and remember that GOD is a FATHER and HE will punish me. I need the fear of the LORD to keep me on track.

Comments

I see it as the umbrella of God. Walking with Him in obedience. When we choose to sin we walk out from under the umbrella. Out from underneath His blessing and protection.

Oh how I want to be with Him. Rather than away from Him.

Popular Posts