What is your Bible translation attitude?

Sometimes when I am reading the KJV I get confused. So I grab a NIV or some other translation that is within reach. Many times I will just say, "Well, that clears things up I'm glad I checked with this easy to understand version." Then I may just finish my study with the "easy" version.

What does that tell my spirit? That I do not trust the KJV. I say no. I say that it is just easier to read the NIV or that the Living Bible has so much more umph to it. It is more fun to read.

I had no intention of changing that attitude. I have had so much benifet from the clearity of the other versions. But, while in the middle of a discussion with my cousin about our beliefs, we needed to establish which Bible we would use for the basis of our discussion. It was to hard arguing a point from the same scripture if it didn't say the same thing. I began to study the orgins of the translations of the Bible.

I went online and found many translations and studied their backgrounds. I asked friends their opinions. One comment that has stuck with me was, "As long as the version dosen't chang the meaning than it is okay." I began using that to test a version. I would always go to John 1:1 and see if it said that JESUS was GOD or a god. If it said HE was GOD then I liked the version. But I want you to see something else that I have just learned. Take a look at the following verses. I will take them from 3 versions.

Ephesians 3:14-15

KJV
14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

NIV
14For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.

The Living Bible
When I think of the wisdom and scope of his plan, I fall down on my knees and pray to the Father of all the great family of God - some of them already in heaven and some down here on earth-

Many of you may not see what I am saying. I ask you not to querry why I picked this verse that is not the point. Do you see how in the NIV they take JESUS CHRIST out? It says that the whole family derives its name from who? GOD. Who do you think talks like that? I will let you ponder a moment. The LB is pretty clear that there is heaven for those who are dead already. But I am searching that out right now in another study where does the Bible say we go when we die? Are they saying the same thing do they change the meaning? Hmmm.

I look at this and say that they have changed the meaning. Then where do I as a seeker of truth go for answers. I begin to question where is truth. Then I get worried that I may be following after the wrong truth. Confusion.

If JESUS said that HIS sheep know HIS voice then they also know when someone else is trying to lead them. Who could that be? I believe that it is the one who said they wanted to be GOD. HE is very subtle and may make us feel like we are making a bigger deal then is really necessary. Don't let him make this a non-issue. This is important. We can't be lazy about it. I want to be ready when someone askes me why I believe what I believe. I want no confusion. At least that truth is intact.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

In my studies I have found that the HOLY SPIRIT wants me to have the KJV as the foundation. If I am confused I will go to the concordence and dictionaries for help in the translation. But I will not take anything from any translation that has come from the manuscripts of Wescott and Hort. I urge you to study this for yourselves if it so moves you.

Comments

Moving in that direction. Not there yet though.
Isaiah 40:11
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
Unknown said…
I think it is very dangerous for christians to declare the KJV being the ONLY real version. This debate has gone on for years and years and years. I used to sell bibles for a living.I had to know EVERYTHING about each version and the publisher. I learned about the scholars who came came up with the diff versions, etc. There are some things in some translations that are not in others. Matthew is a good example of that. But sometimes people are hungry for God's Word and showing them the difference between New Living (which I use a lot) and KJV is remarkable. My newly saved sister-in-law gets excited about reading God's word because she understands it.

Okay, I am rambling! You get my point!

love ya Kellie!!!
Unknown said…
NOt Matthew as a whole. Some scriptures in Matthew.

Popular Posts