Family Reunion

Well, the week and weekend is over. We had cousin's daughter here from Friday a week ago to yesterday. We had the family reunion this weekend. It has been a long haul.

I praise GOD for HIS continuing grace. HE stuck with me the whole way even when I became a monster, overwhelmed with circumstances. There is a whole lot of drama and excitement.

I apologize for not responding to the comments on the Family Issues post. Thank you all for your prayers. I can't really say weather the family are believers or not. They have a background in various religions and I know they know about GOD. But to say they are believers, hmm. They know, but I am not sure what their personal relationships with HIM are. DH's grandparents were PK's (pastor's kids). They are very involved in their church. They have passed on a lot of knowledge to their kids and grandkids. They are very firm in their moral beliefs and they let us know where they stand on issues. They are loving and kind about it.

Young lady (cousins daughter) is 6 and very talkative and loves learning. On the way home from Bible study last week she asked question after question about who GOD is and what makes HIM GOD. It was amazing. I loved realizing the innocence that JESUS talks about when HE is referring to children. When we got home she said something to the affect of, "Wow, we got home fast." She was so involved in our conversation she didn't even see that my kids had fallen asleep. She was suddenly sincerely eager to help me get the kids in the house quietly. I was so proud of her. She is really maturing.

I had her and her brother for 15 days in February and she was constantly arguing with me. Not so now she hardly opposed me at all. She loves to play and hug. Sarah carried her out to my van when we left Bible study. We sang songs and prayed a lot. I tried to teach her this time that she could pray about anything anytime.

We had a horrible thunder storm one night and I had groceries in the car. I put the kids to bed and intended to run out and go empty the car. But Young lady said she was scared and couldn't be alone. I told her to pray because GOD didn't want her to be afraid. She kept telling me that HE didn't answer her prayers. I told her to not question and HE would answer. Then I ran upstairs. By then the storm, which had just been loud, now was pouring rain. I couldn't even see my car in the driveway and I didn't need another shower so I waited a bit and it didn't let up. Finally, I went back down to get the girls. I brought them up were we could watch the storm together. Then I told her, "See, GOD answered your prayer. HE sent me back down to hold you through this." She smiled sweetly at me.

At the reunion we had a great time. On my way I knew that it may be hard knowing that this is the family who is questioning my motives for interfering in someone else's relationship. The HOLY SPIRIT and I had a great talk. There have been many things lately that I am learning that all came together for this weekend. Joyce Meyer had talked briefly about not living to impress any human to just be comfortable in my place with JESUS and everything else would be not so important. So I battled a bit on not trying to impress the family with my parenting skills and my knowledge of nutritional stuff that I have learned from DS's allergies. I also felt like the HOLY SPIRIT wanted me to not try to defend myself or push to explain my side of the issue. So I kept my mouth shut for the most part. I did have a moment, but I feel I recovered from it.

We had a great dinner gathering and card playing on Friday. My DH went with one of his cousins and they talked at the beach until like 3 or 4 in the morning. He needed that. Saturday he went golfing and I went to Goodwill with some bargain hunters in the family. We found some great stuff and of course really cheap. I got a new dress for $8 and some nice skirt/shorts and a shirt.

Then we all gathered, packed a picnic lunch, and headed for the beach. DH and I decided to walk instead of packing the van. It was uphill to the beach access and then down at least a five story building height of stairs. When we got to the spot that the family had gathered I realized that I had forgotten DS's lunch plate. I knew that the lunch that the others had brought would not be for him. He didn't seem hungry so I just gave him over to his grandpa and got everyone else settled. DH got right in the lake it was so warm. First time he said that Lake Michigan was warm. I took DD with me and she loved it. She kept going to other people, and I would play around and then check on DS and go back out.

The HOLY SPIRIT told me that we needed to get DS back and soon. I had noticed he was looking a little slower than usual. So we got all packed up and headed back up. At the house not many other people had come back and we just got to washing the sand off. I was putting aloe on someone's back when I heard my son start crying. DH was with him so I didn't go running I just thought that if they needed me they would call. Suddenly, the crying stopped and my DH started saying, "DS, hey DS!" He had passed out. He stopped breathing and his eyes were darting around.

I called 911 with a cell phone I found on the table and had to ask for the address and everything. I didn't even know what the number was to the phone I was using. DS was only out for a few moments and then he didn't move. He just was limp in my DH's arms. The family started showing up and all were concerned. They stood back out of the way but we felt very supported by their presence. My mother in law is a nurse and her husband is some kind of doctor (I can't remember exactly what kind, but he knows a lot of medical stuff). They came and we decided DS was dehydrated and needed some food and fluids.

Then the paramedic came (pretty quick response) and they assessed DS's condition. They didn't think he needed to go in unless we didn't feel comfortable with getting fluids down him. We had our own medical staff who thought that we could handle it. So we just sat down and ate the plate I had left behind. He gobbled it up and then drank at least 3 sippy cups of watered down apple juice. He was up and running by the next hour.

With that over we all enjoyed the rest of the weekend. I stayed up late that night and DH went to bed with the kids. I felt pretty good with that bit of freedom, and I was able to ponder the day. I was feeling bad about the neglect of my son's needs and one other family told me some pretty bad yet funny stories of their parenting blunders. They only have one son. I was laughing and realizing that there is more to come. Laughter really does work.

I give all the glory to GOD for giving us this weekend. We grew closer together as a family, and I got some practical ways to handle my relationship with GOD. It was difficult. We pray before every meal, my favorite thing that my DS is doing right now is that when music plays he says something that sounds like Great GOD and lifts his little hands to heaven and sings. They didn't really appreciate that I get excited about GOD in our lives, but that was what the HOLY SPIRIT was trying to teach me.

What a wonderful GOD we serve.

Comments

I have noticed a lot of groeth in young lady as well. I admire what you are doing in her life. She will always look up to you for you have truly shown her kindness and attention.

What a scare with little guy. Praise God all is well.

Love ya girly!
yung_mom said…
Thanx again for including "young lady" when it seemed no one else wanted too. I know that it helped her to feel like part of the family that her brother is so welcomed into.
To answer the religion question that was asked before, yes I am saved and I do live by the word of god maybe not to the aproval of man but just like you I look for the approval of one : )
That must have been so scary to have delt w/ "DS" passing out. Parenting alone is a scary job at times but you are doing a wonderful job :)

Popular Posts